How to Transfer a Vehicle’s Title
Vehicle title transfer vary by state, but generally involve the following steps:
- Fill out a bill of sale. You can find the appropriate bill of sale for your state at DMV.org or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fill out the section of the title that transfers the ownership to the new buyer and ask the seller to sign it.
- Submit a title transfer application at the tax collector’s office, along with the current odometer reading for the vehicle, the vehicle identification number (VIN), and a copy of the bill of sale. You can find out the required procedure for you state here: http://www.dmv.org/title-transfers.php
- Pay the title transfer fees.
- Wait for the new title to arrive via mail within a few weeks.